Nuclear Iran, Reloaded

In the Reloaded version of my blog, I'll write about Iran, its nuclear program, its culture, and most importantly, myself.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Challenging Questions: Question 3.

Assume that Iran builds a nuclear warhead. What would Iran do with it? Would it hit Israel and kill Palestinians as well as the Jews? (I am assuming that the Iranian president hates Israel and Zionism, not the Jews. In fact the Jews in Iran are treated the same way ordinary Iranians are treated: they are both mistreated ! :) !).
__
PS. I don’t even think the Iranian government wants to sit on a nuke to be safe as peter suggests. I think they want to have the nuclear fuel cycle to have the capability of building a bomb, but not the bomb itself. I heard once from Javad Zarif that strategic calculation for Iran (which I am no expert of) does not recommend building a nuclear bomb and therefore it is against Iranian national interests. (can somebody repeat those calculations?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Hugo said...

Hello Amir,
I have just posted an initial article about my thoughts regarding the nuclear debate with Iran:
http://lepetitradiateur.blogspot.com/2006/01/restoring-some-facts-about-iran-and.html

I see that your blog has been commenting on it for a while, and I will read it in more detail. Likewise, I would appreciate your comments on my first thoughts. I intend to develop my point of view in later posts.

Hugo

Tue Jan 24, 12:23:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

once and iranian minister deputy told me (it was 1998 i guess) right after nuke tests of pakistan and india (which took place in a week if you remeber), the iranian national security council start thinking about having the capability to reach the bomb (and as you said not the bomb). i am against WMD expecially the nuke, but for the sake of geopolitics, iran should have it when pakistan, india, kazaqestan and isreal have.

Wed Jan 25, 02:06:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Amir said...

I think the only thing Iran can do with a nuclear bomb is to use it as a deterrent force. When this objective is achieved by being capable of building a nuke, there is no point in having one. At least not now!

Wed Jan 25, 03:42:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Amir said...

Added to my earlier response to Sahamdarjoz:

Assume Iran makes 1 or 2 or 10 nukes. Would it be enough to creat a geopolitical balance in the region.
Forget about Pakistan or India, can it resemble the figures in Israel ro Russia? Iran will be nuked well before reaching that figure.

Mon Jan 30, 11:28:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iran will not be nuked. It will be prevented from acquiring the technology at all, when the USA implements its plans to destroy the nuclear capabilities of that country.

The fact is that those in power in the world, rightly or wrongly, are terrified of seeing another state acquire nuclear power. The key words here are "those in power." While a military strike on Iran would undoubtedly cause catastrophic and violent backlash, the perception is that if Iran acquired the capacity for nuclear weapons that would be worse.

It will take a herculean diplomatic effort on the part of Iran to convince the EU and USA otherwise, and thus far it has failed miserably by trying to play the UN.

One key factor that Iran needs to work on if it is serious about getting international approval is the perception that Iran is out to kill Jews. Another is that it allegedly funds Hamas, whose stated goals are to kill Jews notwithstanding the good that they do for Palestinians. The fact that its human rights record is awful is yet another.

This is about how the world perceives Iran, not about what the facts are. It is never about the facts.

Fri Feb 24, 10:43:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home